Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Potatoes Supreme

Thanks to Anonymous, who sent in this recipe. Apparently there are about a billion versions of this - give or take a couple. I added my own little twist (because I always have to fiddle):
I added 1 cup of leftover Taco Meat and used Pepper Jack cheese. For the topping, I used crushed Tortilla Chips, to continue the mexican flavor. So, here's my review: It was pretty dang good. My only hesitation is that it was dry, not all bubbly and golden like I expected. About 3/4 of the way through baking, I realized it was on the dry side, so I gently poured about 3/4 of a cup of milk over it. That really helped. Next time I'll add that to the sour cream & soup mixture before I mix with the potatoes. If I went the mexican route again, I will add a can of chopped chilies, too. I can certainly see why this is such a people pleaser - it has lots of flavor! Enjoy!


Potatoes Supreme
-2 lb. bag frozen southern style (cubed, not shredded) hash brown potatoes (DEFROST)
-1 small chopped onion (1/2-1 cup)
-1 can cream of chicken soup
-8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pint sour cream
-Appx. 1/3-1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
Preheat oven to 350F.In large bowl, mix all of the ingredients except corn flakes. Butter a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish and spread mixture evenly into it. Top with crushed flakes. Bake for 45 min. to 1 hour until golden and bubbly.

Notes:
*Make sure you defrost the potatoes, mine took FOREVER to cook when frozen
*As stated above, I would add about 3/4 cup of milk to make it extra gooey
*You could add broccoli, peas, chopped sweet red pepper for more flavor and color
*Vary the cheese flavors - Swiss would be great if you added ham or bacon, too

4 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I make that too, except I add a cup of melted butter, use cream of celery soup instead of cream of chicken, chopped green onions, diced green pepper, and chopped celery.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Elise Michaels Media said...

oh boy, I bet that's good! nice to see others playing with the ingredients, too.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very nice to see you all fiddling with the recipe. I can hardly make a new recipe without adjusting and tweaking on it a little. Sometimes I end up wishing that I had just left it alone. (But not often.) Oh, by the way, your supposed to let the potatoes thaw for at least 1/2 hour. Did I forget that part? I promise I will never post another recipe here from memory. I haven't got one! R.W.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love potatoes. I could eat them every night. I don't care if people say they're not a vegetable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home